In this tutorial, I will tell you how to unlock the bootloader of Moto E 2nd Gen 2015. You will need to unlock the bootloader of your Moto E 2nd Gen smartphone if you want to root it. Rooting a smartphone has a lot of benefits but that’s a story for some other day or you can browse the Internet to know what exactly it is and why do people root their phones.
As for unlocking the bootloader of Moto E 2nd Gen, it is a very easy-to-follow procedure which will hardly take 20 minutes. All you need to is to follow the steps mentioned below.
a) To unlock bootloader on Moto devices, you have to request a key from Motorola and as soon as you will do that, you will lose your phone’s warranty. So, proceed only if you are not bothered about it.
b) Proceed only if you know what are you doing. I will not be responsible for any kind of damage that may happen to your device, but I do assure you that there is nothing to worry about if you will follow all the steps as mentioned below.
c) Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data and factory reset your phone. So, do create and save a backup before proceeding.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Moto E 2nd Gen 2015:
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot and Motorola drivers on your PC.
- Go to Settings->Developer Options and choose Allow OEM Unlock. If you don’t have Developer Options enabled, then go to Settings->About Phone and tap on Build number seven times.
- Power off your Moto E 2015 smartphone. Once it is done, hold the power and volume down key together for about six or seven seconds and release them to enter the fastboot mode.
- Connect your Moto E 2015 phone to the PC via a USB cable.
- Double-click on the MAF32.exe file to run it. You will find it at the location where you chose to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- It will open a command prompt window. Enter the command fastboot devices and hit enter to cross-check whether your phone is connected.
- If it is connected, enter the command fastboot oem get_unlock_data and hit enter. It will show you a long string of characters.
- Copy the characters and paste them on a notepad. Remove all the white spaces and make a single string out of them.
- Go to Motorola website and go through the instructions mentioned there.
- In a few minutes, you will receive an email containing the unlock key.
- Go to the command prompt and enter the command fastboot oem unlock xxxxx and hit enter. Do remember to replace xxxxx with the unique unlock key which you received from Motorola in your mail.
That’s it. You have unlocked the bootloader of Moto E 2015 successfully. If you still have any questions, doubts or facing any issue, feel free to get in touch with me via the comments section below.